Experts from the Telegram advertising exchange Telega.in conducted a study titled “The Advertising Market in Russian-language Telegram Channels”. The results revealed that the total advertising volume from the 1st to 3rd quarters of 2021 amounted to 14.27bn roubles, which is 11.5% higher than the forecasts for 2020.
This intensive growth in advertising turnover is explained by the increase in Telegram’s Russian audience to 50 million people, as well as by the rising cost of advertising. Compared to 2020, the average CPM for the three quarters of 2021 increased twofold or more in most categories.
The average CPM (cost per 1,000 views) for all categories grew from RUB 465 (Q1) to RUB 855 (Q3). The most expensive categories in terms of CPM were cryptocurrencies, trading, investments, real estate, marketing and PR, economics and finance.
Top 10 categories by advertising turnover on Telegram:
- Investment (12.51% of total turnover);
- business and startups (9.15%);
- Internet technologies (6.69%);
- marketing and PR (5.21%);
- cryptocurrencies (4.52%)
- news and media (4,38%);
- sports (3,93%);
- children and parents (3,30%);
- author blogs (3,26%);
- other (2,97%).
The top 10 categories by advertising turnover account for 55.9% of the total value of advertising posts.
- In the 3rd quarter of 2021, the number of advertising posts in Russian-language Telegram channels increased by 31.7% year-on-year: from 11,307,709 to 14,895,464, and more than 2.5 times compared to the 3rd quarter of 2019 (from 5,898,237 to 14,895,464).
- In the 3rd quarter of 2021, the number of all types of posts in Russian-language Telegram channels increased by 42.8% year-on-year: from 42,937,938 to 61,308,267, and compared to the 3rd quarter of 2019 by 3 times (from 20,337,738 to 61,308,267).
As a reminder, test advertising messages directly from the Telegram service itself were launched in October 2021. It is planned that one thousand views of a message from sponsors will cost €2. Learn more about the features of the platform and advertising in Telegram.