Many countries have started banning online casinos, slots, and poker rooms as well as advertising of such gambling sites. At the same time, online gambling remains fully legal in a number of countries, and this legality is seen beneficial for ad campaign performance.
Online gambling is among the fastest-growing industries in the world. According to Statista statistics portal, the global online gambling market is anticipated to be valued at more than $94 billion in 2024, and the industry itself will undergo a series of changes and reforms.
Global gambling industry segmentation:
- Europe 22.4%,
- Asia-Pacific region 11.72%,
- Middle East,
- North America 7.9%,
- rest of the world 4%.
Europe is leading, with an estimated 22% share of the online gambling market. The Middle East and Asia are following after; another 8% of the global market is occupied by North America.
Peculiarities of casino advertising in different countries
In the US, gambling activities are officially allowed in several specialized zones. Money depositing and withdrawing at online casinos is restricted in most of the country; there is, however, no ban on online casinos themselves. Only one type of gambling-related ads—gambling simulators—is allowed on Google.
Canada is one of the most attractive countries in terms of casino advertising. First, there is a large percentage of high-income earners. Secondly, Canada has two official languages, and this opens up wider advertising opportunities.
Casinos with a European license (Malta, Isle of Man) can operate and market themselves freely in most European countries.
- Both land-based and online casinos operate in the UK. In 2018, the gambling commission introduced tighter gambling advertising standards aimed, in particular, at protecting children. For example, prior to placing ads on social media, make sure that your target audience is over the age of 18. Choose the best offers for UK GEO in 3snet!
- In Germany, land-based casinos operate actively, whereas online gambling is totally banned. German audience, however, successfully gambles on servers located outside the country. Google, as it does in the US, allows advertising of gambling simulators alone (i.e., casinos can be advertised, while gambling games cannot).
- In 2018, Italy banned advertising of gambling games. The ban applies to direct and indirect advertising, sponsorship, and video advertising. Logo posting and branded merchandise distribution are also prohibited. Advertisers, however, can inform gamblers about promotions, real chances of winning, minimum bet sizes, additional bonuses, and sports betting odds.
In Asia, the most popular GEOs for online gambling advertising are Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, India, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- Online gambling regulation in India is very weak, and there is no ban on any types of advertising. Many people there live on very low incomes and have no internet access, so the Indian market might be of interest only in the long run. Learn how to conquer the Indian online market.
- Gambling in China is legal only in Macau. All types of advertising, including indirect advertising on websites, are banned. Advertisers, however, can share information in mobile apps, on YouTube and promote game franchises.
- There are more than 200 online casinos in Japan, but gambling advertising is totally banned. Japanese audience is quite active. Connect to top gambling offers for Japan in 3snet.